Your Netgear wireless router comes with great features and utilities. A built-in firewall is one of them. Disabling the firewall in your Netgear wireless router can’t be a very good idea as it protects your computer data, home network, and Wi-Fi bandwidth from unauthorized users and dangerous hackers. However, you may still want to deactivate it for using certain applications such as port forwarding or adding a gaming console etc.
Understand Your Router?
Your Netgear router doesn’t have an ‘On’ or ‘Off’ button that allows you to disable the firewall. Infect, no wireless router in the world has such button or feature that deactivates the firewall. You will have to login to your router’s admin window to modify the settings. Below are the easy steps that will help you change the firewall rules.
How to Guide:
1. Open your web browser viz. Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox etc.
2. Type ‘192.168.0.1’ or ‘18.104.22.168’ (without quotes) in the address bar and hit ‘Enter’ on the keyboard.
3. When on the login screen, key in your username and password that you entered while initially setting up your Netgear wireless router and click the 'Login’ button or hit the ‘Enter’ key.
4. If you never changed your original username and password, then these must be ‘admin’ and ‘password' respectively. However, you do check your router credentials before putting in anything.
5. In the left hand side menu, click ‘Services’, and then click ‘Firewall Rules’.
6. Under the ‘Inbound Services’ category, click the ‘Add’ button.
7. Click on ‘Any’ under the ‘Service Name’ list and select ‘Allow Always’ from under the ‘Action’ list.
8. Click ‘Apply’ to activate the newly setup rule. Move your newly setup rule upward until it sets as the first rule under the ‘Inbound Services’ section.
9. Click the new rule under the ‘Enable’ column to enable it finally. Now your firewall is disabled and your internal network is fully open to virus attacks.
10. You can enter the same rules under the ‘Outbound Services’ category using the same settings. Finally click the Enable’ column to ensure that your firewall rules are set up for outbound network also.
***You can also find here support for Netgear wireless router problems. Also check out here how to add Kindle Fire to your Netgear Wireless Router.