A Wireless router is a device that performs the functions of a wireless access point and a network switch joining your computer and your high-speed modem and as a wireless access point that allows your wireless devices, such as a laptop. They are commonly uses to allow access to the Internet or a computer network without the need for a cabled connection. You should periodically check for an upgrade to your Netgear router. Upgrading your router can add new features that improve the security and performance of the device as well as addressing any problems not originally detected during manufacturing. Netgear allows you to check for an upgrade from within the SmartWizard interface. You can access the SmartWizard using your web browser. The methods described here are simple and correct to the date. It is, however, recommended that these should be followed carefully to avoid encountering problems. You can also contact Netgear router Support at their Toll Free 1-877-242-9701 for help and support.
Steps to Upgrade Netgear router
• Open your web browser and type "routerlogin.net" in the address bar and press "Enter."
• Type the user name and password for the Netgear router into the login dialog. The default user name for your Netgear router is "admin" and "password" is the default password. Click the "OK".
• Locate the "Maintenance" area on the left side, and click the "Router Upgrade" link.
• Click the "Check" button. This automatically connects you to the Netgear support servers and checks to see if a newer version of the router software is available. If an upgrade is available, you are asked to download the file onto your computer. By default, the file is saved in the "Downloads" folder.
• Minimize the Netgear SmartWizard page, and navigate to the downloaded file. Right-click the file and click "Extract here."
• Maximize the Netgear SmartWizard page, and click the "Browse..." button. This opens a "Choose File to Upload" window on the screen. Browse to the extracted file, and click the "Open" button. This takes you back to the "Router Upgrade" screen on the Netgear SmartWizard.
• Click the "Upload" button. This initiates the automated upgrade process. Your router will restart once this process has completed.